Set sail for murder

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Announcing Poetry Appreciation Class for April 2012

Interested in poetry? Want to learn more? Tipp City Library is hosting a poetry class on Fridays in April of 2012 from 4-5 pm. Hosted by Susan Hoke, teacher and poetry writer; she will be using the book Poetry matters : writing a poem from the inside out / Ralph Fletcher. This is a very basic book. She will be introducing terms and styles of poetry. Registration is requested, drop-ins will be acceptable. We will order the books for the participants and make them available for check out. The title of the 5 week class, running from April 6th through May 4th is "April is the Coolest Month for Poetry." Once you have some of the basics down more help on poetry can be found in Stephen Fry's book, The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within. Funny thing happened to me last night. I was searching through the magazine donation box, and a man reading poetry in the rocking chair by the window asked me to recommend a poem. The first that came to mind was, "When Your Father Dies" by Diana Der-Hovanessian.  This was shared by my brother when my father died, and I love it. Of course I couldn't put my hand on it that moment. He had a big book of poems and wanted me to recommmend a poem in the book, so I found a poem by W. H. Auden , " In Memory of W. B. Yeats." It was a beautiful moment, a man sharing his love of poetry with me on the day Susan had offered to teach an appreciation of poetry class. Check out this website about Ohio Writers: http://www.wiredforbooks.org/

No comments: