Set sail for murder

Monday, January 11, 2010

What are you reading on Monday?

I am reading Protecting Marie by Kevin Henkes. I did not know that he wrote Young Adult (YA) fiction. I know him from the Purple Purse queen, Lilly. He has a selection of Lilly the Mouse books for pre-kindergarten. Now I find a YA book, with a delightful girl, Fanny, who wants a dog. She begs her father for a dog. And he finds out how hard it is to grant her greatest wish. I love the part about Burger King. The father is almost sixty, a college professor, and artist and he cannot abide Burger King. He is rigid, but he loves his daughter. It's a wonderful study of a young teen's love-hate relationship with her father, something young girls might relate to. A good mother-daughter book to read together. Sometimes we just can't put our finger on where the relationship went bad, and Kevin Henkes does a good job of ferreting out those dark moments that hurt a child, especially when parents are so caught up in what they think is best for the child. Books help me to think more about relationships, that delicate balance we walk everyday.

http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/

No comments: