Set sail for murder

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Storm

We are feeling the winter winds turning down our collars tonight, what a good excuse to just pull those covers up and turn off the TV and the bad news and read a good book. Okay I know, I always want to read, but I am trying to encourage you to read, too and to find a really delicious book to sink your teeth into. If you haven't read Mary Ann Shaffer's book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, you are in for a treat. Mary Ann had this idea for a book for a long time, as a librarian she had seen her share of books come across her desk, but she wanted to share to experience of the World War II fellow English men and women who had the unfortunate luck to be invaded by the Nazi army and hold up on their island for the duration of the war, Guernsey Island that is, and probably more of the Channel Islands. Hitler thought he was going to invade the rest of England but he never got the chance. Those poor islanders, they had no news of the war for over four maybe five years. And no word of their children that they had sent over to the mainland of England for their safe keeping. This is the setting of the story and how they managed to survive the war. Who ever heard of potato peel pie anyways? Guess it was pretty good if you were really hungry. This is a book of books, and a whole cast of interesting characters that are going to really steal you hearts. I have read it twice already, once quickly, and then savoring the story on the audio version. Try it either way. Sometimes I like to cook while I listen to a good book, I remember the year I baked all my Christmas cookies listening to Rosamunde Pilcher's Book, Winter Solstice. The snow blew all around my house and the characters in the story were snowed in their tiny town and they planned their own little celebration. A true cosy book that was perfect for the season. Rosamunde Pilcher has always been able to keep my attention and my warm feeling for her characters. The author has a wonderful ability to make you feel you are right there in the little English or Scottish town getting ready to sit down with friends and have a regular "cuppa" and let your worries drift away with the snow flurries. Enjoy your own little read this cold December night.

No comments: