Set sail for murder

Sunday, June 29, 2008

What is responsible for our happiness?


Eric Weiner has written a fun and curious book about how happy people are in various places around the globe. He isn't too terribly happy himself, I'd call him a curmudgeon. But he decides to search the world and find what makes other people happy. I like to read all his little observations and quotes. Here's one for me: "better to go barefoot than without a book,'an Icelandic saying that I can wrap myself around. Check out The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places on Earth.

1 comment:

Carolyn Rector said...

Summer Reading
By curiouslibrarian1520
The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner transports the reader to spots on the globe to report on the happiness levels of residents. The most surprise was the Icelanders and the darkness they live through during the winter months. Me, I have to have the sun, the summer months and the ability to go outside for long periods of time, sitting outside with my morning coffee is often the highlight of my day. Would I , could I ever live in Iceland? My sister went to Alaska and couldn’t believe the natural beauty and the feeling it excited in her. This from a girl who lives in Colorado year round, one of the most beautiful states in America. Me, I’m an Ohio girl, and right now the weather is perfect and a real cause of my happiness this day. Back to the book, makes me want to experience India, my new place of interest. Just started to read Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire by Alex Von Tunzelmann. I am reading it to try to understand the Indian conflict, and the long history of the British in India. Just beginning so I will immerse myself into the Indian culture for a time.