Set sail for murder

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

West With Giraffes

 By Lynda Rutledge. 2021

What started as a book that I didn't think I'd like turned into one of my favorites of the year. An ode to animals, this story tells the tale of an orphan farm boy from the Texas panhandle. He makes his way from the hurricane of 1938 in New York to the San Diego Zoo with two giraffes. As usual, our pick for book discussion group is historical fiction. As usual, it surprised me by how good it was.

to read nonfiction  or fiction accounts try these:

My Life in a Man-Made Jungle. By Belle Benchley. 1940

The San Diego Zoo: the First Century 1916-2016

The Worst Hard Times by Timothy Egan. 2006

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. 1939

The Negro Motorist Green Book by Victor Hugo Green. 1936

No comments: