Set sail for murder

Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year

I wanted to read fifty books this year, but the last one, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson is too long to finish. I love her writing, and the subject matter is my favorite, England during the Great War and World War II. The main character, Ursula Todd, is a young woman in 1938, and lives through the Blitz and lives another life through Berlin during the war, I don't fully understand, but I love this book. The characterization is well developed, the plot is interesting, the atmosphere is very realistic and thoroughly a character in the novel. To be a best seller or to appeal to a large audience one must have all the draws of appeals and the author does just that. I am listening to the novel and the narrator does a great job. If I wasn't so tired, I'd read this book into the new year, but I've been up since 6 and I need to go to sleep. I finished A Fatal Winter at the nursing home today, and it ended with a lunar eclipse and a holiday party on Dec 21, so fitting for the day. It's a cozy mystery in an English village with the Episcopal priest as the detective, Father Max, a former MI5 operative. Good stuff. Love this series.

No comments: