Set sail for murder

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Finding a new book to read

Looking for a new book can be quite daunting, which is why the libraries have the Reader's Advisory, either in person, or a a website such as Novelist. I tried to read " A Brew to a Kill: A Coffeehouse Mystery," by Cleo Coyle but couldn't get caught up in all the fancy writing. Maybe there are just a little too many quips and jargon-filled fodder for my taste. The author seemed to think that a smart remark was needed in every sentence. It was just a little too off-putting for me. Now then, maybe if I had started at the beginning of the series I would find that it what I was expecting. I'll have to try the first one to compare. So, I was waiting for Ian Rankin's next on my list of titles in order, "Tooth and Nail." His prose was just what I expected, the language flows, there is enough of unknown words and sayings. Because he is Scottish those new phrases pique my interest. I like learning something new. I always thought that his books would be a bit too edgy for me, but because someone likened Rebus to Cynthia Harrod- Eagles' character, Bill Slider, I thought I'd take a go at his works. Rebus is the main character, another CID, a member of the Criminal Investigation Department. In this book he is called in to be an expert in a London investigation of a serial killer. Usually he is based in Edinburgh, where the author lives. His last case was a serial killer and now the expectations are high for him to help with the investigation. Four murders have already taken place, and he is here to find the clues that link the victims to the killer. There is a visit to his ex-wife and daughter while he is in London, and an fairly interesting psychologist, Lisa Frazer to add more depth and romance to the storyline. I am only halfway through, but it is proving to be a page-turner.

No comments: