Set sail for murder

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Police Procedural

Because I like to read Cynthia Harrod-Eagles and her police procedurals, I was alerted to read Ian Rankin. I started at his first Inspector Rebus, Knots and Crosses written in 1987. I am glad I did start with the first one because it explains his personality as a character. Rebus has nightmares, and sudden visions of someone being trapped. During his investigation he is sent notes with references to knots and crosses, a game in England similar to Tic-Tac-Toe I am guessing. He thinks the clues are a hoax, but as an informer solves the acrostic clue, he is suddenly driven into the mystery and suspense of his lifetime. And with help from his brother, a hypnotist, his deeper knowledge solves the mystery, but not the where. A suspenseful ending to a good book.

No comments: