Set sail for murder

Friday, August 3, 2012

Espionage Fiction

While this book is still fresh on my mind I'd like to make a note that this was not one of my favorite books by Alan Furst. Maybe because it was too short, or because the drama or suspense was not up to his usual standard. Everything just seemed a little too easy. Granted it was a quick read, something I like in the summer, but I have grown to expect more from Alan Furst, one of my favorite authors. Compared to the Sebastian Faulks novel, Charlotte Gray, it seemed to be missing a lot. The story is about a film star, Fredric Stahl, who comes to Paris in 1938 to make a movie. He is Vienna born as Franz Stalka, now living in Hollywood. Thinking he will enjoy Paris again, he finds he is drawn into a spy ring and isn't too sure he likes the consequences. As he finds himself being followed, he realizes the danger he is in, along with his friends. I have to go back an reread some of my favorites that he wrote, Dark Star comes to mind. Try this other review from another source. NPR rates in on this thriller.

No comments: