Set sail for murder

Friday, October 7, 2011

Paiula McLain's Novel about the Ernest Hemingways in Paris in the early 1920's

The Paris WifeI think this has been my favorite novel of 2011. Paula McLain does an excellent job of telling the love story between Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley Richardson. Even though she was seven years older than Ernest she was naive in many ways, and totally unprepared for the fast life in Paris in the 20's. Too much booze and too many egos clashing for attention. I like finding out that they meet up with the Fitzgeralds in Paris and follow them to a vacation spot. I had read Ernest Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast", published after his death, and sometimes referred to as a love letter to his first wife, or is it a tribute to his first wife. In my opinion, he was crazy to let her go, but that's what young men do, fall in love or lust so often and wreck their marriages. She was able to have success with her second husband and live a long life. "In 1933 Hadley married a second time, to journalist Paul Mowrer, whom she met in Paris." 
I am glad about that, I think she was a real trooper. Especially they way she adapted herself to so much of Hemingway's life style, so different than anything she could imagine on her own. I love the description of her skiing in Switzerland. Beautiful novel.

No comments: