Set sail for murder

Friday, June 11, 2010

Confessions of a Readaholic

As I was reading my copy of South of Broad, donated to me by Random House for my involvement in Book Groups, I was listening to Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I know I picked that as just a fun read to listen to on my way to work, more of a summer read. I just want to say how different it was from my reading the novel, which I did last summer. The narrator of the Recorded Books version is Emily Gray. I always try to listen to the unabridged version, and this was a really good performance by the narrator. Every time she said, "In fact," she emphasised it so much that I could really feel the personality of poor Rebecca Bloomwood as she is stressing over the mess she has made of her finances. This book was written ten years ago, but it felt even more timely to me with the emphasis on personal finance that is airing on the TV so much these days. What would Clark Howard say to Rebecca? There's a scenario to think about. Anyway, I loved it even better to listen to, and if I didn't have so much to read right now, I'd just keep hanging out with Rebecca this summer to see how her life is going along. Oh yeah, I've gotta watch the movie again, too.

No comments: