Set sail for murder

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, his third Robert Langdon novel, is by far his best. True to his previous mysteries, Brown captures the hidden secrets found in a city, this time Washington D.C. Instead of the Catholic church he focused his attention on the Order of Masons, a secret society covering many centuries, with George Wahington being one of the most famous masons in American history. As I followed the mystery thriller I became interested in the truth of his work. This is part of the major appeal of Dan Brown's work. It is seeped in history and the occult. The occult stands for hidden, the secrets that behind the traditions. As any reader of historical fiction, I am drawn to the actual history. I want to know more about the undergound tunnels in our nation's capital. I timed my reading of the Lost Symbol to my actual visit to Washington, D.C. and that only added to my enjoyment of my trip. To learn more about the capital, try The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's Capital: the Masons and the Building of Washington, D.C. by David Ovason, 2000.

No comments: