Set sail for murder

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Julie and Julia

The book by Julie Powell, Julie and Julia, 365 days, 524 recipes and a tiny apartment kitchen, how one girl risked her marriage, her job and her sanity to master the art of living has stayed with me for over a year, and now the movie has come out, with Meryl Streep as Julia Child. At first I was, this can't be, Julia Child has a tiny role in the book, and then I learned that Nora Ephron has melded two books into one movie; with Julia Child's last book, My Life in France to bounce scenes back and forth; Paris, 1954 to New York City, 2002. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am looking forward to it. I am reading Julia Child's book now, and it is truly charming. How lucky she was to find her true calling, teaching cooking, and Julie Powell found her true calling also, from the above link learn about her new book that is coming out, about her turn learning butchering. I am sure it will be great, she has a unique way of expressing herself. The funny part in My Life in France is when Julia Child refers to Julie Powell and she can't get past the F** word, and she doesn't think Julie is in love with food as much as herself, maybe Julie just likes the humor in things more, although sometimes from the old TV versions of Julia she had a pretty good sense of humor herself.

No comments: