Set sail for murder

Monday, March 16, 2009

Cozy British Mystery, Orchestrated Death

I have started the Bill Slider mysteries by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. What makes up the cozy British mystery? Police procedural was mentioned. This fits that well. Bill Slider is a middle age detective with homicide department. He faces some ugly crime scenes, but he meets his future lover as he starts to make inquiries. As a married man who has never cheated, he is not totally comfortable, but this new woman in his life has created something that has been lacking in his difficult marriage. Future books keep up with his romance. From the Kirkus review in 1991, I like the description of Slider: "a reserved, mild-mannered hero", they also mention "understatement." I have seen the wry humor also noted in other reviews when referring to cozy mysteries. This one is a little grisly, with also some suspense. More than one person has recommended this to me and I am glad I tried it out.

No comments: